Monday, March 9, 2009
I like global news the interesting thing happen globally. Nothing good happens locally. It usually gives you that "I could have been someone I know" feeling. But global news makes you sympathetic in an "I don't care" kind of way and I like that. Like all of that stuff in Africa. But with economics and accidents I like that it's interesting to know how a war is going or how it started. Although its kind of depressing to know how my life can be since that's all they show. The things that can make life worse. When I see that I wonder if people care about those accidents. Like there was a accident in Ecuador a while ago by a company called Chevron. They've been drilling oil in the amazon for a while and they had an oil spill. There was a video made by activists showing how the way they're drilling oil is wrong and that they should clean after themselves. They got people sick and animals cause of puddles of oil that they make. I don't know how to clean oil but they should still be responsible for it. Isn't that a way to clear areas. Making it uninhabitable to live. By the commercial they made I wouldn't have known that. They showed animals without oil on then. Waterfalls and caves without oil in them. Lots of plants not covered in oil. They showed people who look like they don't know whats going on. And they constantly use the word "explorer" like they're just people walking in the forest. But I didn't think that would be in South America cause I once saw or read something about how in South America there are a lot of people who changed there cars cause they were using sugar cane as fuel. I forgot how. And the company. But I know that "Exxon is changing the way we think about oil".
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I think sometimes the problems in the world feel overwhelming. We're taught as good Americans to stand back and let the government or corporations take care of it.
ReplyDeleteAs you get older, you realize that sometimes it's important to stand up for things. No one has the energy to stand up for everything, but some issues are worth standing up for. Heartless government programs and certain greedy corporations will only change what they're doing when enough people make noise about it. It usually has to be a big group. The thing is, groups are made up of individual people. If each individual thinks their powerless, the group never forms...